StatCounter

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Are We There Yet?

When I first began my walk with the Lord, one of the biggest issues I encountered was learning to wait. It seems in our society the lack of patience is often too prevalent. This is seen in how fast paced we tend to live our lives from express checkouts to "fast food." It seems if one were told to wait for something, the reaction from several individuals would be as if they received the death sentence. I know this is an area I personally have found myself struggling in. Despite the fact, the Lord continues to remind me to wait on Him. "Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength..." [Isaiah 40:30-31]. Sometimes, it may feel more convenient to hear a simple "Yes" or "No" from the Lord instead of the painful four letter word "w-a-i-t." 

Regardless, God continues to teach me to wait for His timing in all situations. Many of us may be familiar with the story of Abraham and Sarah. Abraham was a childless ninety-nine year old man and his wife Sarah was far beyond the age of conception. Even when she heard the very news that she would bore a child, she laughed in disbelief. God told Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars and this promise was fulfilled with the birth of Isaac. Abraham had to wait on the Lord for 25 years before he saw the promise of God fulfilled in his life.


In the midst of waiting on the Lord for all His promises to be fulfilled, I have faced several trials, temptations to walk through a door the Lord did not open, and many more things. Through it all, I have learned to grow in patience through persevering through these trials and I cannot begin to count the number of times the Lord has spoken to me through His word or individuals to wait. Thank God He remains faithful even at times when we are not. God is not a man that He should lie or go back on His word! He even states: "Not one word of all the good promises that the LORD had made to the house of Israel had failed; ALL came to pass." [Joshua 21:45] I am thankful we serve a covenant keeping God. Daily as He continues to remind me of this, it has allowed me to hold onto hope and faith in the midst of trials. As you begin to grow in Christ, so does the degree in the trials you are faced with. I know once all comes to pass in His timing and not my own, the wait would have been worth it all. As my Pastor once put it, Faith and Patience are twin sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment