StatCounter

Sunday, December 26, 2010

An Act of Mercy - Victoria Ruvolo

On November 13, 2004, Victoria Ruvolo was returning to her Long Island home at night from her niece’s vocal recital when her life was suddenly changed in the blink of an eye. A group of six teenagers stole a credit card and recklessly decided to go on a joyride as well as a shopping spree. One of the infamous items purchased was a 20 pound frozen turkey of which; one teen [Ryan Cushing] thought it may be amusing to hurl the projectile out of the moving car into oncoming traffic. The turkey smashed through Ruvolo’s windshield, bending the steering wheel before breaking every bone on impact, which nearly killed Victoria and left her unconscious. If her companion in the passenger seat had not been present to pull the car off the road and render aid, it could have easily become a death weapon. 

In her impact statement, Victoria stated: "If I had been alone in the car that night, I would have died. It upsets me that at the cost of my life, not one of the teenagers had the guts or decency to come back or call 911. This haunts me. I wouldn't leave an animal to suffer on the side of the road, let alone my fellow man."

As a result, she suffered severe injuries from a caved in esophagus requiring a tracheotomy (tube to breathe), both cheeks and jaw bone completely shattered, a fractured left eye socket, and partial brain damage. This required several months of reconstructive surgery as well rehabilitation. Approximately one month later, Ruvolo awakened from her medically induced coma with no recollection of the incident. However, family members eventually filled her in with the details of the tragic event. Numerous as well doctors told Ruvolo it was a miracle she was alive.

On Monday August 15, 2005, Victoria met face to face with her assailant in the courtroom for the first time. If indicted on a charge of first-degree assault and other offenses, Mr. Cushing could have faced up to 25 years in prison if convicted. Instead, the Suffolk County district attorney Thomas Spota agreed to a plea bargain only at Ms. Ruvolo’s insistence on a lenient sentence. Ryan Cushing pleaded guilty and served the minimum of six months behind bars, followed by five years of probation, of which included psychological counseling and public service. 


Before Monday’s sentencing, Mr. Cushing handed Ms. Ruvolo an envelope which contained a handwritten four-page apology letter. On his way out of the courtroom, Ryan choked up a verbal apology as he embraced Ms. Ruvolo while crying profusely. Victoria in return held him tightly, stroked his face, and patted his back as he continued to sob with remorse for a few minutes.
"It's O.K., its O.K." Ruvolo stated while patting his back and exchanging whispered advice. She then offered him reassuring words as she continued to comfort him…I forgive you...I just want your life to be the best it can be.” New York Times referred to this event as “A Moment of Grace.” 

"Despite all the fear and the pain, I have learned from this horrific experience, and I have much to be thankful for... Each day when I wake up, I thank God simply because I am alive. I sincerely hope you have also learned from this awful experience, Ryan. There is no room for vengeance in my life, and I do not believe a long, hard prison term would do you, me, or society any good."

Although Ruvolo received a settlement from the civil suit, she continues to work as a manger at a collection agency and also began volunteering with the Suffolk County probation department. Victoria, despite facing rehabilitation, multiple surgeries with titanium bolts and plates securing her fractured skull, and criticism from others choose to forgive her assailant Ryan Cushing. She stated in a recent interview with New York Times: "If I hadn't let go of that anger, I'd be consumed by this need for revenge," said Ruvolo, now 50. "Forgiving him helps me move on."
Would you have responded the way Victoria Ruvolo did to her attacker? On very rare occasions, we encounter people such as this woman who are willing to forgive the trespasses wrongfully done by others. Many times people will say ‘I forgive,’ but their actions clearly show otherwise in their refusal to show mercy in return. [Colossians 3:12-14]

You see, Mercy is compassion in action. Whenever Jesus saw a multitude, encountered individuals or a crowd; He was moved with compassion which called for action. As a result He would administer healing, cast out demons, address or teach people...but most of all, sinless and blameless...He bore ALL of my sins on the cross [past, present, and future] ...a debt you and I could never pay on our own.

Victoria was the victim of a random act of violence [or in other words, a prank gone wrong], which could have easily happened to anyone. However, instead of dwelling on what she had lost, she chose to focus on what she had gained from the incident and find strength from the blessings in her life."God gave me a second chance at life, and I passed it on," she says of her largess toward her assailant."I truly appreciate the preciousness of life," Ruvolo told Good Morning America. "Every day when I wake up, I truly thank God for giving me another day, that I could see the beauty of everything."

If she could forgive Ryan Cushing for what he did, can't we forgive our friends or enemies for much less heinous crimes? Check out [Matthew 18:21-35]

No comments:

Post a Comment